Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Pain

Boy, this is just the bad news bulletin, isn't it? I just found out that my aunt has breast cancer. Just got the call. Just hung up. And am still processing.

How? Why? They mentioned radiation; will she lose her hair? What about the breast? What can I do? How far along is it? Where are the best doctors for this sort of thing located? I just can't believe it... She is my mom's twin, so genetically, we are closer than most aunts. And she is one of my favorites. She read a poem at my wedding - Rumi's Music Master.

"We are the mirror as well as the face in it.
We are tasting the taste this minute
of eternity. We are pain
and what cures pain, both. We are
the sweet cold water and the jar that pours."

Pain. And the cure for it. We heal it, we listen to it, we recognize it, we comfort it. Anyone out there who has dealt with this, I'd welcome your tips.

3 Comments:

Blogger marzi said...

kathy- i am so sorry to hear your horrible news. i don't have any experience with breast cancer, but i just wanted to let you know that there are people out here thinking about you and praying for your family. my only advice is to make sure both you and your mother are checked when it is the appropriate time to do so.

3/15/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh bean. I'm so sorry to hear about aunt c. For what its worth, my mom was treated for breast cancer 30 years ago and it has never come back. Here's hoping for another 30 years for your aunt as well.

-cathy

3/15/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,

I put Aunt Carol on our church's prayer list.

Love your site!
Aunt Susan

3/17/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home