Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas

I have a confession. A few days ago, I wasn't feeling too merry.

It is hard to be away from family, knowing that they will all be together, remembering all of the old traditions that are hard to keep when you are so far away. I was also letting the grinch in me see too much of the commercial side of Christmas (and you have to admit, it certainly has gotten a little out of hand). I had to spend a torturous day at the mall amid the hustle even though all of my shopping was done weeks ago. I was beginning to wonder if Christmas would be just another day for me and the hubby. But then I remembered.

I remebered that Christmas is how I choose to keep it in my heart. I looked at the faces of shoppers and instead of seeing "red-tag frenzy" I saw groups of girls giggling together, families turning the day into a time to be together, and the quest for the perfect gift a search for the reflection of the love one felt for the other.

Some people make things, many people buy things, others do nothing at all. And yet, on Christmas day, the real thing that matters is love. I love my family and know they love me, even though they are far away. Sitting at my window typing, I see what I would stereotypically refer to as a young, grunge-sort of boy walking by, pants slung well below the waist, an uncombed head of hair, and a hard rock slogan on his sweatshirt. Just next door to me lives an elderly woman who I know is often lonely, but sits out on her porch each day and chats with whomever will listen. What a surprize to see the two greet each other by name and wish each other warm!

The world is full of so many people, and though it is a large place, it helps to remember that we are also all neighbors. There are communities everywhere of every size and distance; some physically close to each other, others joined by common interest, even though there are miles between them. We are all here for a reason, whatever you believe that reason to be. I want to let each of you know that I am glad you are here and glad of your reason for being.

Merry Christmas!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Bean, I love you more than I could ever possibly tell you!

-Your big sis

12/29/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home