Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Where I was Ten Years Ago


I finally sold the dress I wore to Senior Prom at a garage sale this weekend. I think I held onto it because everyone always associates good memories with Sr Prom. Unfortunately for me, my date left me at the dance that night, thus rounding out my feelings of ambivalence toward high school. Yes, Senior Prom was ten years ago, but also a lifetime ago. This weekend I'll actually be heading up to my high school reunion. I only decided to go after a round of "I'll go if you go" with a girl who was one of my best friends in high school (and still is a good friend).

To those of you still in high school, or on the verge of leaving it behind, I say live it up. To those of you who have already left, I know you sigh with me when I say "Whew; glad that's over." High school is a tricky time - you're trying to fit in, but also trying to become the individual you will become. There are hormones popping everywhere, hairstyles and clothing styles that you'll look back on and cringe (trust me), and this ever-present question of "What are you going to do when you grow up?" It always seemed to me like whoever was asking that question always expected me to #1) have an immediate answer, and #2) realize that when they say "when you grow up" they really mean "NOW that you've grown up?" Tricky times, I tell you.

So now, ten years later and preparing to face the barrage of "what have you done with your life?", I feel like I've come a long ways. I have increased my knowledge, added a bit of worldly experience, learned what love really is, found myself completely able to stand on my own two feet, and even lost a few pounds. I still have a bit of hesitation about the weekend, but I know that when someone asks me, "So, what have you done since high school?" I'll be able to respond with a thankful, "I've become myself."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home