Saturday, May 21, 2005

Gotta Have It

I've been meaning to post about this for a few days. Something always came up, though, until now. It's finally Saturday morning. The adventure that I had was on Wednesday. I know, I'm way tardy. What can I say? If you still want to read about it, you'll have to forgive me and continue reading.

Still here? Good. (And seriously, if anyone is still here, still reading this blog, why not leave a comment? Let me know you've been here. Hopefully you'll keep coming back.)

I'm still fresh in the paper-world of designing invitations and greeting cards. Still trying to figure all of this out - how to write invoices, how much to charge, what services to offer, what I can and can't do on my own. There are quite a few grand and glorious ideas floating around in this head o' mine, and I admit that after Wednesday, I've added a ton more.

Wednesday was the Adobe Creative Tour and it was phenomenal. If you haven't heard or aren't in an industry that cares about it, the Adobe Creative Suite 2 is on shelves now. It includes all of the must-have programs for designers and those aspiring-to-be types, including Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design, a new tool called the "Bridge", version cue, direct access to stock photos, and color consistency across platforms. The Premium Suite also includes GoLive and Adobe Acrobat 7.0, making the whole deal a completely functional, top-of-the-line, "can do", extraordinary office for the creative types.

Wow. I have to applaud the presenters who handled everything fantastically, including the requisite technical problems that accompany any presentation when you are pleading for everything to go right. There were two sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, and I had informed my husband before I left that I may or may not stick around for the afternoon presentation depending on how things went in the morning. However, within the first 20 minutes, I was hooked. There was so much to take in, so much "oooohhhhh"-ing and "aaaaahhhhhhh"-ing to be done, that I couldn't leave.

Incredible functionality, the ease of file manipulation in multiple formats, version monitoring and tracking - it was all there. The two- or three hundred of us sitting captivated in the audience were eager to see all of the capabilities. I thought that maybe I was so quickly hooked because I'm still relatively young in my field, but looking around me at all of the other attendees, many of whom are very developed in their field and have more skills than I do, I knew that it was because this was one powerful program. Or rather, one powerful set of programs.

Sadly, I didn't win the Creative Suite they raffled off either in the morning or the afternoon session and the thousand dollar price tag is a bit more than my little business checking account can handle at the moment. So, unless there is some generous soul out there willing to donate, I'll have to plug away, hoping to save up the funds for this purchase. Of course, I could make the funds so much easier if I had the Suite. It's a vicious circle, isn't it?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey McBean-
I guess the 5AM wake-up rminder call the morning before was worth it after all, huh? :o)
Sorry I missed you on Wednesday, but glad it inspired you so...

5/31/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home