Tuesday, March 29, 2005

A Creative Life

This morning I dropped my friend Erin off at the airport to send her back up to Seattle. We had a WONDERFUL visit, as is always the case when I see her. We explored my new homeland of Southern Cali, checked out the sites and rides at Universal Studios, and did some great shopping at places like South Coast Plaza, Fashion Island, and the outlet mall on the way back from Palm Springs (talk about whetting your shopping appetite! If you ever need a shopping vacation - check these places out!). Erin is one of my best friends/old roomies from college and was one of my bridesmaids. We met on the crew team at WWU and I think one of the reasons we hit it off so well is that both of us are creative types and can tend to be a little zany at times.

On the way to the airport we stopped at the beach so that Erin could wave goodbye to the sandy shores. There is something about squishing sand between your toes with the bright sun overheard and wishfully looking at the cute little places for rent right on the beach that brings up an inner cry for freedom. As we piled back into the car with one bag more than she came with, Erin and I got to talking about choosing our paths in life. She is currently working in the retail world and part of her is torn between being "successful" and following her passion for art.

What a tough question. Let's face the reality, being in art isn't usually one of the most highly paid gigs. It is a certain lifestyle and requires a bit of support from friends and family. I was luckily somewhat forced to make the leap when the hubby got a job a few thousand miles away from Seattle, where I was working. It was the perfect time to make the leap. It was time to see how much I could do with this mind of mine. A little talent, a lot of tears, and a need to conquer my "what if", and here I am.

There are so many creative people in the world. I was just browsing on Swirly Girl, which led me to Superhero Designs, which has a whole 'nother list of websites and crafty folk to check out. There is such a great community for people who are creative and for people who wish they were, think they're not, and just like to look. My advice for anyone in any of the aforementioned categories: don't stifle the voice and don't pay attention to the "what-ifs"; we are all creative in our own ways.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stationery Girl said...

I love swirly girl. She and Superhero Designs have been around for a long while. If you poke around in blog world long enough, you start to figure out that all the long standers seem to know not only each other but Sark as well. It really does start making this a small world, lol!

3/30/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home