Sunday, August 27, 2006

Swing Doll

There's a chain of stores on the west coast (mainly Seattle area) called Fireworks that sell amazing goods produced by local artists; everything from jewelry to paintings to furniture to fun knick-knacks. One of my absolute favorite things are these dolls/figures that look like they are flying! They are so whimsical and have a bazillion different forms, activities, looks, etc., some even with fairy wings. I had fully planned on outfitting my someday-daughter's room with a number of these until I looked at the price tag... Not to say that I'm sure they aren't worth the asking price, but as a small business owner and someone who is hoping to buy a house in Southern Cali (Lord help us), it's just not cash that I have easily on hand. No matter how incredibly talented the original artist.

So I decided to give it a whirl myself just by making it up as I go. I've been feeling the need to do some real crafting, not just paper designs, and today was they day I laid out all the goods, plotted, cut, folded and hot glue gunned to my hearts content. Not too bad for my first ever attempt, don't 'cha think? (By the way, she is wearing a bandana, although you can't really see it in this pic. Still trying to figure out the best way to do the head.) I put her on a swing because that was always one of my favorite things to do! Legs pumping, world so far beneath you as you climbed into the sky!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home