Tuesday, August 08, 2006

First press class!

Yesterday was my first letterpress class at the Armory Center for the Arts and, wow, am I excited! This is going to be such a great few weeks and hopefully by the end of it I'll actually be able to not only power up Gertie, but also know how to use her! Turns out that the instructor for the class lives not too far from me, so she has promised to come by and take a look at Gertie and all of the supplies I have so far. I hope I haven't gotten in too far over my head! I was a bit aprehensive when she said that it will take years for me to know what I'm doing... I'm hoping that I'll be able to still be learning, but also pump out my work in the meantime. I can just hardly wait!

On the business side of things, more word-of-mouth has been spreading about the excitement of my designs, which makes me feel quite nice. I have received my first official request for catalog, which I am putting together now. Still have to work on the website and I am also thinking again of re-doing the logo. I'm actually debating a business name change all together in favor of something not so cutesy. What do you think? Is Blue Bean Creations too - oh, I don't know - frilly? scrapbookish? More and more of my work is leaning toward graphic design, so I want to sound fairly professional but also have some flair and fun. It's in the back of my mind for the moment, but I need to figure it out soon, especially since I have to print up new business cards before too long. I am also starting to think about renting out studio space/work area; someplace I can meet with clients, run the press, assemble all of my goodies, and whatnot. Of course, there isn't a whole lot of cash flow, but all I'm looking for is something quite simple and not too large. Should be an interesting couple of months!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy!

Dixie is a winner...adorable! Your trip brought back memories of my childhood trips...I've been to Hearst a couple of times and still can't get over how beautiful the pool is.

Love the pix of Aiden at the aquarium. We saw him Sunday..shy but what a charmer!

As for your business name...I like Blue Bean Creations cuz it's a name one would remember....Blue Bean Press? Blue Bean Designs? I know the reason for 'bean' but what is 'blue for'? Want more ideas?

I admire your courage in pursuing your creative desire...you go girl!

Hugs,
Susan (your mom's cuz)

8/08/2006  
Blogger Kathy said...

Thanks Susan! Always great to hear from you! And I am also open to other non "Bean" ideas if you have any. Haven't decided one way or the other about the name. Hope to see you soon!
Love to you and the girls!

8/12/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home